Are you curious about the Warren Rupp Observatory and the members of the Richland Astronomical Society? If you haven’t come for a visit yet, you’ll find us a widely diverse group of individuals of all ages and personality types. The one thing we all share in common is our love of astronomy. Here you will find folks of all genders and ages – from all professions and walks of life. We try our best to be a family and to treat our guests as family, too.
The Richland Astronomical Society is a nonprofit organization formed in 1960 to promote the advancement of amateur astronomy. Operating the Warren Rupp Observatory with its 36″ diameter mirror Newtonian telescope, conducting an active public education program, regular monthly public nights, and comet observing programs are just some of its many activities.
Our membership is as diverse as our hobby. We have teachers, doctors, computer nerds, law enforcement, salespersons, chemists, publishers, computer programmers, building contractors, appliance repairmen, electricians, photographers, factory workers, professional authors, nurses and just about any profession and non-profession you can think of.
Current Club Officers and Board Members
Please feel free to contact any of us!
- Dan Everly – President/Board Member
- Kim Balliet – Vice President/Board Member
- Julia Jones – Secretary
- Bryan Summer – Treasurer/Board Member
- Bruce Scodova – Observatory Director/Board Member
- Eric Heintz – Assistant Observatory Director/Board Member
- Rich Krahling – Board Member
- Delores Mlay – Board Member
How to Join
If you are interested in joining our group (Yay!), you can either show up at one of our meetings or events or fill out the this online form. After submitting the form, we will get back with you promptly. Do not pay annual dues until you hear back from us!
Annual Membership Fees are $20 Student, $40 Individual, and $60 Family. They are due by January 31.
Can be paid by Cash or Check payable to R.A.S.
Mail to: Bryan Summer – Treasurer, 1290 Fairview Ave., Galion, OH 44833
They can also be paid using Paypal with the “donate” button below
Some of our members have their own web pages. These pages detailed observations, musings, and some wonderful astrophotos.
- Astrophotography by Steve Carter
- Astrophotography by Bob Kocar
- Photos and Videos by Scott Graser
- Books by Terry McQuistion
- John Neumann: Astronomical Observations
- John Neumann’s Sky: An Amateur’s Journey Into Amateur Astronomy
- Bruce Scodova: Astronomical Observations
- Bruce Scodova: Astronomical Articles